Saturday, July 27, 2013

Days 2-3 with our twins in the NICU

So I am not ready to string together too many words into sentences  (mentally exhausted due to lack of sleep).  Instead I will share some photos of our boys first four days - they were 4 days old as of 8:24 this evening!!!  The photos of the boys in my last post were from Wednesday, so they are 1 day old in all of those photos.


Jack 2 days old. My mom, now known as Mommom, got to see her first grand babies for the first time.  I love this photo as it has Mommom's hand (tanner on left), my hand (right), and Jacks hand.  Here Jack is wearing his eye protection on his head as he had mild jaundice and was receiving phototherapy.  There is an oxygen saturation sensor on his left hand, which is a bright red light, making his hand look like it is a funny color.
Mommy, Mommom, and Jack

Mommy (left), Mommom (right), and Jack hands

Mommy, Mommom, and crying Ben

Ben gives Mommy the middle finger and she doesn't see it.  Stealthy daddy catches it on camera.

Ben: "peace out man"

Jack looking alert (still 2 days old)

Sad Jack and Daddy

Jack gets phototherapy, Mommom watches

Daddy keeps Jack calm

Mommom holds Ben for the first time!!

Ben loves Mommom

Jack: "Stop it guys"

Deliriously tired but very happy and content Mommy holding Jack for the first time.  He was amazing.  I placed him on my chest between my breasts and he used his hands to push himself up and find my right nipple.  He began rooting and found my nipple with his mouth.  He did not latch/suck, so his nurse turned on his garage feeding tube.  This way, his belly got full while he was at the breast and he will associate the breast with eating until he is strong enough to latch.

Exclusively pumping to start your milk supply is very difficult.  The hospital nursing staff and lactation consultants were terrible at supporting our efforts to get started.  That story itself could be a whole post.  Fortunately, Mike and I don't give up very easily.  The NICU nurses have been great at supporting us, allowing skin to skin time, and allowing me to place the boys at the breast before they were ready/able to latch.  Good news, Ben latched and took 5mL+ straight from the breast today.  Jack tried, but still not ready to breastfeed.  They are getting all of my pumped milk and I think everything is going to work out great in the end!

Skin to skin with 3 day old Ben in the afternoon.  Like Ben, he rooted and found my nipple, but did not suck.  He will when he is ready!!
Sad Ben!
Sleeping with one eye open

Tiny sweetie pie, giant pacifier.
Both boys met Aunt Donna for the first time.  We did not get a picture of her with the boys.  Next time...

Sleepy Jack 3 days old






















No comments:

Post a Comment